Re: Why is my rollback segment tablespace always 98% full?

From: <Paul.deAnguera_at_ci.seattle.wa.us>
Date: 1997/06/17

> Greg Sigler <siglerg_at_medimmune.com> writes:
> The situation:

 ..
> The question: Why is the RBS tablespace so full? One thought would be an
> uncommitted import or insert except that the database has been bounced.
..
Extents aren't necessarily released from a rollback segment when the owning transaction commits. The OPTIMAL parameter of the rollback segment specifies a size which Oracle will try to maintain by releasing extents. But if this parameter does not have a value, the rollback segment will keep all of the extents that are ever allocated to it. This can be a good thing if the rollback segment has its own tablespace, because it avoids the overhead of releasing and acquiring extents. Freespace isn't an issue, provided you've allowed for a big enough rollback segment to hold the before-images of your largest transaction plus a comfortable margin. Managing rollback segment freespace is different from managing it for tables and indexes that can grow permanently without limit.