DEC Alpha Open VMS - What is the best configuration?

From: Karel Jankovsky <karel_at_rice.edu>
Date: 1997/06/16

Oracle Experts,

We are in process of configuring our new DEC Alpha box to run Oracle based application on Open VMS and we have few questions. Hopefully, someone in this news group will be able to give us guidance and provide direction.

We hope to implement RAID Level 0+1 configuration.

We shall mirror disks (about 15). Are there any disks that don't need mirroring?

We plan to stripe our disks. Into how many different groups should we divide our disks? Should we place all of our database into one? How about Oracle code, should we keep this away from the database or together? Where should we place export files? How about redo and archive logs? What about users, should we keep them apart from the rest of the system?

All ideas and suggestions will be much appreciated!! If possible please email me directly. TIA!!

Thanks, Karel.

Karel Jankovsky             karel_at_rice.edu         (713) 285-5421
Database Administrator      Rice University         Houston, Texas