Re: Oracle and Microsoft SQL Server

From: rrbatra <rrbatra_at_feist.com>
Date: 1997/06/14

As an Oracle Fan I would be tempted to give you rhetoric, but I will try to be fair and
stick to the point :)

  1. Oracle is scalable, which means that once your database grows too big for NT, you can move it to UNIX or another OS without too much of a hassle.
  2. Oracle gives you a lot of features, row-level locking, web integration, parallel query, bit-mapped indexes, MPP support,all datatypes (universal server) etc......The list is long. There is nothing which SQL Server does and Oracle does not. In fact, all features found in SQL server 6.5, were there in Oracle 5.x or so...For a list, look in any PC week, Oracle loves comparing it with SQL Server. I am not sure how SQL server performs without row-level locking.
  3. For smaller databases, SQL server may appear faster, since, it does not have most features Oracle has, but, you gotta decide if you want features or not.
  4. Most "real" dba's agree that in comparison with Oracle, Sybase, Informix and DB2, SQL server should probably be called version 2.0 or 3.0. However, when Bill Gates suddenly says it is 6.5, it is 6.5, even though it just cannot compare with the big four ones...

Just my opinion....

Raman Batra, Oracle DBA