Oracle and Netscape Enterprise Server

From: Grace Frederick <grace_at_vantageone.com>
Date: 1997/06/14

I was working with an Oracle sales rep to set up a demo which would use the Netscape Enterprise Server 2.01 with Oracle 7.3 and the Oracle Web Application Server 2.1 on an SGI Origin 200. According a sales rep, who had ordered but not yet delivered the WAS to us, the Oracle Web Application Server could be configured to use the Netscape 'listener' rather than the Oracle one. Unfortunately, before we received the demo copy, our rep quit and hired into Netscape. Go figure!

Anyway, when I finally received the evaluation copy of the Web Application Server and got it installed (had lots of problems with that too!), I went to the screen which is used to configure external listeners. The screen, however, only allows selection of the Netscape FastTrack server. I'm not sure if I can fake it out, but the page also indicates something about a 6 character limitation on the listener name. There's no documentation on either the Netscape or Oracle site (that I can find), and I'm getting very frustrated.

The other Oracle sales rep says that if we purchased the product, we could get Oracle support. But I don't want to purchase a product if I don't know if it will work. It's a Catch-22.

Does anyone have any ideas? We really want to use Netscape since we already have the sites which require Oracle access configured, and we like the performance. Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!