Re: Listener hanging???

From: Lucy Cornelese <lcornele_at_caiw.nl>
Date: 1997/06/13

On Wed, 11 Jun 1997 11:14:58 -0700, Lise Lavoie <llavoie_at_ism.ca> wrote:

>Looking for anyone who has experienced a similar problem...
>
>We are running Oracle 7.2.3.0.0, SQL*NET 2.2.3 over TCP on HP-UX 10.10,
>with clients dialing in.
>
>We are experiencing periodic problems where the listener just hangs, no
>errors, no response. No one can connect and lsnrctl status and tnsping
>also hang. We can go weeks without the problem occurring or it can
>happen on consecutive nights or during the day. The only solution is to
>kill and restart the listener. So far Oracle support has recommended an
>Oracle patch to correct a listener memory leak and an HP patch,
>PHNE_9105, to correct a sockets problem. Both have been applied and
>problem still occurs.
>
>Tracing the listener creates too much overhead for us to be able to use
>it in production and we cannot recreate the problem in test or predict
>when it will occur in production.
>
>Current workarounds are to tnsping every 15 minutes and automate kill
>and restart. Any suggestions on how to resolve or to identify cause
>would be greatly appreciated.

What happens on the client side? We have a problem when using SQL*Plus version 3.1 and 3.2; for the same (large) query it takes sometimes 10 seconds before the window "query executing" shows up and sometimes 20 minutes. The system ( both Win95 and Win3.11) freezes and the only way to stop SQL*Plus is CTRL-ALT-DEL and delete the task. We use the same version of the database, and also HP-Unix. We want to trace SQLnet to see if it is an SQLnet problem. Lucy Cornelese Received on Fri Jun 13 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT