ora-12812 when trying to use parallelization on constraint

From: Robert W. Swisshelm <swisshelm_at_lilly.com>
Date: 1997/06/13

This is copy of a note that I sent to Oracle support. I haven't received a reply yet. Can anyone help?

According to the manual, I should be able to specify parallelization when adding a primary key or unique key constraint by using the PARALLEL option on the USING INDEX clause. I can't get it to work.

I can create the index first, using parallelization, and then create the constraint. That makes our process more difficult. I'd like to get the product to work the way that it is documented.

Here are 2 examples. The first shows the error that I get when I try to use the parallel clause when adding the constraint. The second shows how I can create the index before adding the constraint.

I would appreciate any help in figuring out what I am doing wrong.

TST_11> create table bobtest ( col1 number );

Table created.

TST_11> alter table bobtest
  2 add constraint bobtest_p
  3 primary key ( col1 ) using index parallel 5; primary key ( col1 ) using index parallel 5

                                 *

ERROR at line 3:
ORA-12812: only one PARALLEL or NOPARALLEL clause may be specified

TST_11> create unique index bobtest_p on bobtest ( col1 )   2 parallel ( degree 5 );

Index created.

TST_11> alter table bobtest add constraint bobtest_p   2 primary key ( col1 );

Table altered.

--
Bob Swisshelm
Eli Lilly and Company