Re: Bitmapped Indexes, Anyone?

From: Paul D Miller <pmiller_at_mv.mv.com>
Date: 1997/06/13

Stephen Turner wrote:

> I've read in several press releases, magazine articles and books
> about a mystical new feature of Oracle 7.3, the bitmapped index.
> I even saw a description of how to create one of these elusive
> creatures <CREATE BITMAP INDEX BM_IDX ON TAB_NAME (COLUMN); >
>
> However, none of our 7.3 documentation seems to refer to these
> objects and I can't issue the above statement in SQL*Plus.
>
> Has anyone out there created such indexes with 7.3 & if so how?
> Is there a server option which is needed?
>
> We are running Oracle 7.3.2.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve Turner.

I've been experimenting with them on our system. A few times I've gotten ORA-01502 which says that the index is in direct load state--drop the index and recreate.

This is supposedly caused by using the direct load option of SQL*Loader, but we're not. Are the indexes getting corrupted?

Has anyone else seen this problem?

paul

system:
AIX 4.1, Oracle 7.3.2.3.0, PL/SQL 2.3.2.3.0, parallel query option Received on Fri Jun 13 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT