Re: Oracle 8, How good is it?

From: Steve Phelan <stevep_at_no-spam.pmcgettigan.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/06/12

Well, AFAIK, Oracle 8 is not yet available in 'production' form. I've got the Beta 2 release and have had a quick play around with it, and no it isn't a 'fully OO' database, but then Oracle aren't really claiming that for it now.

In it's present state I wouldn't deploy a live system with it, but that still shouldn't stop you doing some development on it. Get in touch with Oracle and get a copy of the Beta (or whatever is shipping now) and have a play around yourself to see if it's right for you.

As for your current development, stick with Oracle 7.3 - as no, it will not become 'out-of-date' overnight. Besides, you can always migrate across to Oracle 8 at a later stage when you've got more time and a stable production environment. That's my opinion, anyway. :-)

Steve Phelan.