Re: Oracle vs. Sybase

From: Jung S. Lee <orbiter_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1997/06/12

matt wrote:

> Jon Winchester wrote:
>
> > We tried to port out application to Sybase and experienced some
 strange
> > problems. The one killer that we were never able to clear up, even
 after
> > bringing in a Sybase expert consultant was that it appeared to
 convert
> > every SQL that we sent to it from our app (VB via ODBC calls direct
 through
> > ODBC API) into system stored procedures and then execute them.
> >
> > While the performance was good, it would build up these stored
 procedured
> > and would begin to slow down. The only fix that we found was to shut
 down
> > the server daily to clear them out.
> >
> > I am sure there is a way to work with the server so that this does
 not
> > happen, but we (admitted Sybase non-experts) were unable to find it
 as
> > was our supposed Sybase expert.
> >
> > Jon
> Something is strange here. Sybase doesn't just create stored
> procedures. It sounds like some foreign application is doing it.
>
> I'm curious, get in touch if you want to discuss more
>
> matt townsend
> mtownsend_at_nlight.com

It's ODBC that creates temp store procedures. A while back, I worked on a project used MS Access front end to Sybase back end. There is an option you can turn on to delete these store procedures after their executions. Another problem I had is recordset. If you are not careful in your codes, it will download whole table or large chunk of data. And other problems like how to update recordset and others. But we got it to work to user requirements and implemented it at client site. I don't know if they are still using it......

--
Jay Lee   Lake Mary, FL