Re: Resizing a Data File

From: Greg Kainz <gkainz_at_rmi.net>
Date: 1997/06/12

Dennis;
  Do you mean you've reached VMS filesize limit, or have you hit the Oracle max data file limit? I'm not sure if you can't make a data file any larger than you already have (VMS) or can't add any more data files (Oracle)... If it's the VMS file size limit, then yes, you can just alter tablespace add new_data_file.   If it's the Oracle limit, I seem to recall that max_data_files can't be changed dynamically; the database must be recreated. (But, my VMS and Oracle 7.1 has been a while ago and my memory's not that great....). As noted below, another option is to export tablespace, recreate with larger datafiles and then import... Good luck.

Johnny Verhoeven wrote:

> Dennis Flinn wrote:
> >
> > Kevin Kinney wrote:
> > >
> > > I have reached my OS file limit, I am using Oracle 7.1.6, and I need to
> > > increase the size of a datafile. What is the best way to approach this
> > > problem? Should I use export? Thanks in advance.
> >
> > I guess that while not having worked with Oracle on VMS - couldn't you
> > just alter the tablespace(s) and add additional data files?
> >
> > Dennis
>
> Oracle 7.3 allows extention of datafiles.
> Lower version require export of all TS data, delete TS and recreate a
> larger one then import the data again.
>
> Johnny Verhoeven
> Technic And Technology
> On VMS you can backup the disk (file backup not immage) and initialize
> the disk with a lager index.

                  DataWeb Consulting Services
              "Web-enabling your databases today"
voice:(303) 517-3863                       FAX: (303) 422-5107
                       gkainz_at_rmi.net