Listener hanging???

From: Lise Lavoie <llavoie_at_ism.ca>
Date: 1997/06/11

Looking for anyone who has experienced a similar problem...

We are running Oracle 7.2.3.0.0, SQL*NET 2.2.3 over TCP on HP-UX 10.10, with clients dialing in.

We are experiencing periodic problems where the listener just hangs, no errors, no response. No one can connect and lsnrctl status and tnsping also hang. We can go weeks without the problem occurring or it can happen on consecutive nights or during the day. The only solution is to kill and restart the listener. So far Oracle support has recommended an Oracle patch to correct a listener memory leak and an HP patch, PHNE_9105, to correct a sockets problem. Both have been applied and problem still occurs.

Tracing the listener creates too much overhead for us to be able to use it in production and we cannot recreate the problem in test or predict when it will occur in production.

Current workarounds are to tnsping every 15 minutes and automate kill and restart. Any suggestions on how to resolve or to identify cause would be greatly appreciated. Received on Wed Jun 11 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT