Selecting data from other user's schema: Best way to eliminate table owner?

From: Thomas Greuter <grth1_at_zh.swissptt.ch>
Date: 1997/06/11

Hi,

What is the best way of easy selecting data from an other user's schema? Our tables look as this:
tableowner.tablename ex. ABC_MGR.PRODS the ABC_MGR is table owner and is used as more privileged user. Normal users are logging in as TZHuser (ex: TZHGRTH1) and become setted a role by the appl they are using. Login is as follows: set role ABC_PB identified by XY;
to get required privs.
All the queries a TZHuser is doing look like: select * from PRODS; (<- not ABC_MGR.PRODS)

We used synonyms to break down the schema-barrier: create public synonym PRODS for ABC_MGR.PRODS; (as system)

and all the TZHusers may do theirs selects without knowing about ABC_MGR.

Q: Is this a common way in Oracle? If no, are there some other ways to eliminate the table/schema owner we didn't see?

Thanks for every comment on this,

Thomas Received on Wed Jun 11 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT