Re: [Q] libraries missing after installation

From: Ed Poorbaugh <poorbaugh_at_norcross.mcs.slb.com>
Date: 1997/06/10

Juergen Schlegelmilch wrote:

> Hello Oracle gurus!
> I just installed the trial version of Oracle Workgroup Server 7.3.2
> for Solaris 2.5. When I now try to run the script
>
> $ORACLE_HOME/bin/genclntsh
>
> I get linking errors.

You would have to be a guru to explain why the workgroup server is incomplete. Maybe a Marketing guru!

I ran into the same problem trying to install and use ProC with the workgroup server. The short answer is that the workgroup server is incomplete with regards to the $ORACLE_HOME/lib directory and only by installing the enterprise server product do you get the proper files to create the shared library that you need.

This is obviously how it is supposed to work. Oracle knew to ship me a complete enterprise server along with my ProC when I had already bought the workgroup server. Of course they neglected to mention the extra Gig of space needed to hold the extra server just so I could use shared libraries with my compiled programs.

Unless someone has a better answer, I thing you are out of luck even if you bought the workgroup server.

Regards,

Ed Poorbaugh

P.S.
Assuming you have access to the matching enterprise product for your system I found that you can place the missing components from the enterprise product into the workgroup server and everything appears to function. You can then get back the multi megabytes of space used by supporting two Oracle home directories (which is what Oracle support says you must do).

--

    _/      _/  _/_/_/_/  _/_/_/_/  Schlumberger, Meter Communication
Systems