Re: fragmantation problems

From: MarkP28665 <markp28665_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/06/09

yoav_bz_at_netvision.net.il asked >>
Does anyone know good tools that can help me solve the problem ? (I head of Platinum's TSREORG) <<

  1. Use the same extent size for the initial and next extent with a pctincrease of zero.
  2. Separate the large objects into separate tablespaces from the small objects.
  3. Use a limited number of extent sizes. That is, all user objects will be assigned to one of four or five sizes.

Doing these two things will greatly ease fragmentation problems and reduce the need for tools like TSreorg (which works pretty well).

To speed up import/export make sure you are using the 'buffer=' parameter'  I find 131072 works pretty well as does the OS dependent maximum which is around 180K on our system Also I have found it faster to generate the index code, drop the indexes (or use batch import with indexes=no), import the table, and run the index build scripts.

I have found generating the code, renameing the original table to xxx_original_name, recreating the original table, inserting into the empty table using insert into original_table_name select * from xxx_original_name, deleting the indexes (still pointing to renamed table), and rebuilding the indexes to be faster than import/export for larger tables where space allows.

Where space does not allow taking the small rollback segments offline (or dropping them) so that only a single large rollback segment is available can help quite a bit when importing and copying via insert.

Just a few item for consideration.

Mark Powell -- The only advise that counts is the advise that you follow so follow your own advise Received on Mon Jun 09 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT