Re: Control Files

From: Michael Sevy <michael_at_datatools.com>
Date: 1997/06/06

Alik Shapiro wrote:

> craig walters wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> > Is there a utility or way to see what the contents of the Oracle control
> > file are? I can see a few things by opening a copy of a control file into
> > wordpad, but because of the binary nature, I am not getting a complete
> > picture. Any thoughts?
> > Thanks,
> > craig
> > waltersc_at_mail.dec.com
>
> Try
>
> SQL> alter database backup controlfile to trace;
>
> Oracle creates a trace file in a directory, defined by the user_dump_dest
> parameter in init<SID>.ora ( config<SID>.ora ) file.
>
> Hope it helps

This SQL command simply creates a create control file command. If you really want to set the entire contents of the control file, type the following in Server Manager:

        alter session set events 'immediate trace name controlf level 10';

For a description on what this command means (and the generated output), consult the "Oracle Backup and Recovery Handbook" by Velpuri.

-Michael Received on Fri Jun 06 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT