Re: Control Files

From: <mmorgan1_at_mail.tds.net>
Date: 1997/06/05

Craig,

If your version of Oracle is late enough (7.0 ??) you can issue the following command:

ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO TRACE; This will dump the contents of your control file to a trace file in your background_dump_dest (or was it user_dump_dest ?) directory. This file will contain all the necessary information for rebuilding your database. You should probably issue the command fairly regularly - at least whenever you change the structure of your database such as adding a file to a tablespace, etc.

As you can probably tell, I'm responding from memory - my manuals are not at hand. If the above information is not exactly correct, I'm sure I'm close.

Whatever you do, DON'T EDIT your control file. Never take a chance that the control files could be corrupted. Without them your database is unaccessible. (I know, I know. the control files are multiplexed which provides redundancy but you know Murphy's Law ...)

Mike