Re: Can 2 databases on the same machine?

From: Dennis Taylor <spammers_are_scum_at_ipipeline.net>
Date: 1997/06/05

> We have only one server, there are many client machines (PC)
> connected to the server. The server is running Solaries 2.5.1 OS,
> right now we have a running database ( inventory) in oracle account,
> when I try to create another database( accounts) in oracle account, I
> always got an error saying " can't start, the instance is already
> running ora 01081', it asked me to shutdown frist.But when I statup
> again, it only can start one db,the second will not be allowed to

I can't answer for Solaris, but we have multiple databases running on SCO. To get multiple databases, you have to do the following:

  1. Create a new initxxxx.ora . This usually goes in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs. If you want to put it elsewhere, then you have to use 'pfile=pathname' when starting the database using svrmgrl.
  2. create the database files. Depending on your tools and preference, you might use server manager, or Enterprise Manager, or even sqlplus logged in as system or sys.
  3. Put an entry in /etc/oratab for the new database. The oracle scripts dbshut and dbstart use this file to determine what databases to start up.
  4. change /etc/listener.ora to add the new database. This is the most problematic item, because Oracle claims that you should only use their automated tools to modify /etc/listener.ora, and they won't support you if you modify it manually. Unfortunately, tools support for listener.ora is spotty, cryptic, and keeps shifting from tool to tool.

I am attaching a unix shell script that I've been using to create databases. Any suggestions from more experienced dba's will be welcomed. If appropriate, please discuss them via newsgroup, so everyone will benefit.

Also, any suggestions/examples from anyone on valid listener.ora configs will be appreciated.

--
---
Dennis Taylor

begin 600 create_database