Re: Discontiguous SGA under Solaris 2.5.1? Why?

From: Marc Marchioli <marcm_at_cmpu.net>
Date: 1997/06/05

Be carefull with getting the SGA too large. Depending on what version of ORACLE you are using (anything less than 7.3) has tremendous problems handling a large SGA. This is very dependent on what type of application you have too. If your app uses lots of packages/functions/ procedures then a large SGA will result in thrashing of the stored and cached procs unless you pin them. Even if you pin them ORACLE has a poor algorythm for accessing and aging objects in the SGA. Mind you it works just fine if the SGA is relative small but go beyond about 500 Mb and just watch your CPU go bonkers. I have used up to 1 Gb on Sun Solaris with very difficult problems. I am now running at around 700 Mb and only increase it when I see the error '...bamina buffer too small...' or something like that (I can't remember the exact text). I also set the shared_pool_reserved size to be around 10% of the shared pool.

I didn't see your original post so I'm not sure what 'problem' you are trying to solve. However, I have seen many a site/DBA trying to solve application problems by 'tweaking' the SGA/init.ora. If you need some help/insight just post it.

If you want some free utilities check out our site below.

Marc

--