compressing data stored in Oracle

From: Michael A. Schoen <schoenm_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 1997/06/04

I will be storing the contents of text files in a LONG field in an Oracle table. However, I would like to compress the LONG data before INSERTing into the table, and then uncompress the data when I extract it.

Is there some mechanism to do this? I can imagine a function that takes a VARCHAR2(32000) [which is large enough for me], and returns a VARCHAR2 with the data compressed. I can imagine this function, but I couldn't write it. Does it exist? Does anyone have any tips?

thanks,

Michael Schoen Received on Wed Jun 04 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT