Re: Hot Backups on NT

From: Brian P. Mac Lean <brian.maclean_at_teldta.com>
Date: 1997/06/04

Timo Haatainen wrote:

> Calvin N. Slater wrote:
> >
> > I have attemped to do HOT backups of our Oracle 7.3 server. I
> > place the appropriate tablespace in backup mode and then started NT's
> > backup application (NTBACKUP). The backup application will not touch
> > the files since they are open by another application.
> >
> > How are you then to do hot backups? We need to be up 24x7 and
> > have about 14 gig of data files to archive, cold backups would require
> > a significat amount of down time.
> >
> > We are running NT 3.5 on a Dec Alpha and Oracle 7.3 Server.
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Try GNU tar for WinNT. Check out http://www.gnu.ai.mit.edu/
>
> --
>
> Timo Haatainen
> Carelcomp Forest Oy

I am not on NT but I do have the NT documentation. In the manual "Oracle7 Server, Release 7.3, Getting Started for Windows NT", chapter 5, page 109 under "Backing Up Active Files" it shows how to use the "OCOPYnn" command.

mailto:brian.maclean_at_teldta.com Received on Wed Jun 04 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT