Re: Informix and Oracle in the same shop

From: Pablo Sanchez <news_reader_at_mew.corp.sgi.com>
Date: 1997/06/04

In article <33953EC6.BBB54737_at_devnull.org>, Tim Schaefer <devnull_at_devnull.org> writes:

> I had to go hunt down my literature to get this abit more
> documented so I don't just talk through my hat--or Pablos' :-)

I wouldn't trust those tech marketing types either! :-)

> His report gave glowing remarks about Informix and a little bit to
> Sybase, but the beast was clearly the loser.

"the beast"... good gawd that's funny!!!

> INFORMIX-OnLine Dynamic Server uses a true multi-threaded
> architecture.

Err, no it's not... perhaps that guy should do some reading too! :-)... seriously, see my previous post on multi-threaded....

> In Informix's own literature, which they only allowed "partners"
> and internal
> people to read, they give a great overview of their multi-threading
> capability.
>
> Try to get a copy of:
> "Informix Dynamic Server Architecture Overview"
> Informix Part #000-20559-78 W

I have Dynamic Server System Admin... not the best of books but it does state how Online does "it's thang." and it's not multi-threaded.

> And thus my ever-present codependence on Informix, even with their
> lousy attitude these days.

I think you can go to therapy for codependency... of course, that's only if it's unhealthy codependency. :-)

> BTW, Pablo, nice house!

Thanks!

> That hat though, hmmmmm....

Are you coveting my hat? :-)

Take care.

--
Pablo Sanchez | wk: 415.933.3812| pg: 800.930.5635 -or- pablo_p_at_pager.sgi.com