Re: Informix and Oracle in the same shop

From: Tim Schaefer <devnull_at_devnull.org>
Date: 1997/06/04

 David Williams wrote:

> [...]

> that process to stop hence put the I/O thread into it's own process
> (AIO VPs). AIO VPs can be only 1 (to write to the online.log message
> file which must be a normal UNIX file...
>
> This is the least number of processes you can run i.e. most multi-
> threaded you can get under UNIX. I have seen 130 informix users with
> ~10-12 UNIX processes handling all their connections. Proof that
> Informix is truely mutli-threadeded.....
>

> >With enough CPU's, though, the context switching isn't as much as an
> >issue... IMHO. You can always bind a process to a processor.
> >--
> >Pablo Sanchez | wk: 415.933.3812| pg: 800.930.5635 -or- pablo_p_at_pager.sgi.com
> >--------------+-----------------+--------------------------------------------
> >pablo_at_sgi.com ... when mailing me, place "not spam" in the Subject

Thanks David for clearing this up a bit more...

:-)

I had to go hunt down my literature to get this abit more documented so I don't just talk through my hat--or Pablos' :-)

This guy wrote a very nice report covering the differences of all the major data bases in >>>> 1993 <<<<< :

David McGoveran
Alternative Technologies
13150 Highway 9, #123
Boulder Creek, CA 95006
408-338-4621
REPORT: "An Evaluation of Database Server Architectures" Version 93.10

His report gave glowing remarks about Informix and a little bit to Sybase, but the beast was clearly the loser. I hope folks can contact this guy to get his latest report, however I have not done so, and am not able to verify if the above address is still accurate.

Here's a quote from Davids' report:

BEGIN QUOTED MATERIAL INFORMIX-OnLine Dynamic Server uses a true multi-threaded architecture. Multiple concurrent threads are scheduled based on resource availability. Although threads can be "interrupted" by a higher priority thread ( in the sense that a different thread is given the next time slice instead of the previously scheduled one), the scheduler is nonpreemtive.  Threads are scheduled independent of the platform operating system scheduling mechanism. As noted in the data base server architecture requirements discussion, resource management with true multi-threading is more efficient than a shared multi-process architecture.

END QUOTED MATERIAL In Informix's own literature, which they only allowed "partners" and internal people to read, they give a great overview of their multi-threading capability.

Try to get a copy of:
"Informix Dynamic Server Architecture Overview" Informix Part #000-20559-78 W

It clearly says on the cover "Informix Sales Kit. How to position and sell Informix Dynamic Server Overview, Versions 6.0, 7.0, and 8.0."

Even if half of what is presented is true, it blows the socks off Oracle. And thus my ever-present codependence on Informix, even with their lousy attitude these days.

:-)

BTW, Pablo, nice house! That hat though, hmmmmm....

Tim

--
Tim Schaefer                  \\|//
tschaefe_at_mindspring.com       (6 6)