Re: Files > 2Gb on HP-UX 10.20

From: nada <_at_pipe.nova.ca(nada)>
Date: 1997/06/03

lous_at_hotmail.com wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Quick question: Maximum filesize that can be created in Oracle 7.3 running
> on HP-UX 10.20 ? When trying to go bigger than 2 G we get a Message
> refering to using osh. (Which of course is not available in 7.3). It is
> possible to create a native file > 2G via the OS. Any ideas?
>
> Cheers
> Lou

Many UNIX operating systems are limited to a maximum file size of 2G. The suspect the reason is that the UNIX is a 32bit FAT (or equiv) which limits max file size to 2^31 physical disk blocks. The reason for 31 instead of 32 is one bit is used for the sign (+/-). You will need to split your tablespace into multiple data files.

There will be some overhead associated with creating data files as well. For example, creating data file of 100M (104857600 bytes) will result in a datafile being created of size 104861696. You could you a rough estimate of #Megs * 1.04862 to get expected physical disk size in order to tweak it just under the 2Gig limit. This could be ~ 2047863126 bytes as the maximum size a single data file can be created as. Note: the 1.04862 value may vary as to the OS being used.

Greg... Received on Tue Jun 03 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT