Re: Temp and Redo questions ?????

From: Nevin Hahn CU Cancer Center DBA <nhahn_at_ENTENTE.UHCOLORADO.EDU>
Date: 1997/06/03

bill_at_NOSPAM.asplund.com (Bill) wrote:
>I am running a canned application on Oracle 7.1.6. I presently have
>all of my tablespaces on RAID 5. I am planing on moving my temp and
>redo log tablespaces off of the RAID 5 device. I am looking for some
>recommendations !!!!!
>
>Will it be ok to put both my temp and redo log tablespaces on one disk
>? The disk would be an internal drive so it would be on the same
>controller as the root vg but a different controller than the RAID 5
>device ? ( there is nothing but Oracle running on this box)

Bill, It is OK to put all tablespaces on one disk if thats all you have. The benefit of having tablespaces spread out over different disks is in

a) Organization having data dictionary info separate from user data
b) separating applications
c) reducing I/O contention on disks
d) separating rollback segments from user data ( always a good idea )
e) management of tablespaces by taking a tablespace offline for backup

   without bringing all down.

There are probably other benefits but the idea is to spread out as much as possible as there are many benefits, but this is only feasable if you have the disks to do so.

>Is it suggested to put my redo logs on a device with no redundancy ?
>What are the recovery issues related to the redo logs ?

Redundancy can be in the form of using the archive mode. When the archive mode is turned on the redo logs are written to disk after a log file switch.

>Should I mirror the disk ? Is it worth the write penalty ?

How valuable is it to have the redundancy? if this is mission critical then by all means mirror this will mean that you never have to go down. If the data is not so critical then backup and recovery procedures are all the safety that you need

>Or should I just keep everything up on RAID 5 ?

RAID 5 is great! I have never had a problem however because of the reasons stated earlier separating tablespaces has many advantages.

Nevin Hahn Received on Tue Jun 03 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT