Re: ORACLE vs SqlServer

From: Ian Sparkes <sparkes_at_sprintmail.com>
Date: 1997/06/03

If you actually investigate it you will find that Oracle Workgroup Server costs almost exactly the same as SqlServer and how you can say that Microsoft tools are much better I don't know.

Presumably you are talking about VB or Access both of which are good tools but they are not comparable with Designer/2000 or Developer/2000. When I say "not comparable, I mean that they are designed for a different environment.

For Example (so we can talk about facts not religion)

When and how to lock database objects is under programmer control in VB. This is good and bad. If you really understand the implications of what you do (and very few do, they just think they do), this is a powerful feature allowing for great flexibility. It is also a possibility for errors if it is done incorrectly. Developer/2000 on the other hand these processes are handled automatically, this makes it a little less flexible but more reliable (If you research quality management you will find the basic concept is not to reduce errors but to reduce the opportunity for errors).

We develop systems using both tools, in fact we rather like the initial generation of VB code using Designer/2000. Received on Tue Jun 03 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT