Re: ORACLE vs SqlServer

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_acay.com.au>
Date: 1997/06/03

Oren Nakdimon wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I have been told by some people that SqlServer is better than ORACLE.
> Do you agree ?
> Are there any documents comparing these two DB's?
>
> Thanks,
> Oren.

Depends. If one works for Microsoft, then SQLServer does everything including your coffee. If one works for ORACLE, then ORACLE does everything including the toast and breakfast cereal.

Bottom line:

if you wanna run a small system with few users, go SQLServer. If you wanna run a large to very large system with heaps of users, go ORACLE. If you don't mind proprietary stuff that only runs on MS operating systems, then SQL Server. If you want something that will run on EVERYTHING from a PC to a Cray, then use ORACLE. It's called portability, something SQLserver wasn't ever designed for.

All sorts of other stuff as I'm sure you'll hear about, but this is truly the bottom line.

HTH Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_acay.com.au Received on Tue Jun 03 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT