Re: Informix and Oracle in the same shop

From: Pablo Sanchez <news_reader_at_mew.corp.sgi.com>
Date: 1997/06/03

In article <33935782.7D9610FC_at_devnull.org>, Tim Schaefer <devnull_at_devnull.org> writes:
> Pablo Sanchez wrote:
> >
> > No vendor, that I know of, is truly multi-threaded... at least in the
> > sense of user threads and the like.
> > --
>
> whoa!
>
> Finally somebody mentioned the threads thing, and you shoot it down
> so quickly! tsk tsk.... :-)

:-)!!!! Well they'll all claim it if it's the soup of the day kinda thing...

> Yes, as much as I hammer on Informix, they are truly and independently
> verified to have multi-threading--unless it's all bs... But Oracle
> last I heard was multi-process not multi-threaded...

I know that you're statement of "hammer"ing informix is more in jest than anything else... I'm not trying to hammer informix/sybase/oracle. If you look closely enough, you can find enough to hammer any one of them... for that matter, you can find something in each to glee over... so with *that* outta da way....

o Sybase isn't threaded in the sense of user threads as it conducts   its own type of thread management. IMHO, I believe that the   threads are too coarse to allow for a true multi-thread execution.

o Informix isn't threaded because you have all 'em VP's running out   there. They aren't in the same execution space. They have their   own and thus there is *some* context switching. Of course Oracle   has a process for *everything* so that's taking context switching   to the max.

With enough CPU's, though, the context switching isn't as much as an issue... IMHO. You can always bind a process to a processor.

--
Pablo Sanchez | wk: 415.933.3812| pg: 800.930.5635 -or- pablo_p_at_pager.sgi.com