Re: Read-only snapshot problem with service name

From: Bostjan Stupica <bostjan.stupica_at_ixtlan.si>
Date: 1997/06/03

Hello!

Jan-Olav Eide <Jan.Olav.Eide_at_nr.no> wrote in article <338BE648.AECF400F_at_nr.no>...
> I am trying to create a read-only snapshot, using the following
> commands:
>
> SQL > create database link austin connect to janolav identified by
> janolav using 'austin';
> SQL > create snapshot test as select * from test_at_austin;
>
> giving the error message ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name.
>
> I am, however, able to connect to the other database using the same
> service name from
> SQL*Plus : SQL> connect janolav/janolav_at_austin
>
> so the tnsnames.ora file seems to be OK ?
>
> Am I missing out something fundamental here ?. The machine is a
> Solaris-box
> running 7.3.2.3.0, with the distributed and advanced replication options
> installed.
> The remote machine is an NT, running 7.2. Creating a snapshot on the NT
> against
> a master table on the Solaris machine works fine. -
>
> Any help greatly appreciated!

  1. I prefer to use full database name as links. You used "austin". It defenetly have to have a domain, so the correct database link name would be .. let's say "austin.world".
  2. If step 1 doesen't help, check the global database names, and change them (use command ALTER ...) so that they will mach the names in TNS... file. So will you garantie that the Oracle will find the correct links.

Hope this helps

BostjanS   Received on Tue Jun 03 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT