What SQL-92 Syntax does Oracle Support?

From: Enzo Maini <enmaini_at_pcnet.com>
Date: 1997/06/02

The Oracle Sales Reps like to say that Oracle is SQL-92 compliant. My understanding is that Oracle is only SQL-92 Entry Level Compliant. If they were SQL-92 Full Compliant the following syntax would have worked from SQL*Plus:

SELECT Job =

             CASE
             WHEN EMPNO > 7800 THEN
                  "GREATER THAN 7800"
             ELSE
                  empno
             END

FROM emp;

I tried this on Interbase and UniVerse because I know they are Full SQL-92 Compliant.

Can ANYBODY tell me what SQL-92 keywords Oracle 7.x supports and where in the documentation they
are listed? Is Oracle 8 going to be SQL-92 Full Compliant? Oracle tech support was no help.

So much for being standards compliant Larry!

BTW: As an Oracle developer I know I can achieve the same results using DECODE. I am developing an application that uses an SQL-92 database and Oracle and was trying to avoid being forced to use different syntaxs for different databases to achieve the same results.

Thank you in advance for any response you may have,

Enzo Maini
enmaini_at_pcnet.com                    Received on Mon Jun 02 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT