Re: Informix and Oracle in the same shop

From: Tim Schaefer <devnull_at_devnull.org>
Date: 1997/06/02

Pablo Sanchez wrote:

> In article <7I97+CA6FykzEwSb_at_smooth1.demon.co.uk>, David Williams <djw_at_smooth1.demon.co.uk> writes:
> >
> > Because Oracle cannot handle the amount of data and workload that
> > Informix can. Note the latest TPC-D benchmark 70% faster than Oracle
> > on similar hardware...
>
> Please cite the two write-ups you are referring to so we can judge
> for ourselves if indeed we do have "similar hardware"
>
> > Informix is truely multi-threaded therefore can handle higher
> > workloads with parallel queries NOT requireing context switching
> > between several UNIX processes. Oracle is not truely multi-threaded.
>
> No vendor, that I know of, is truly multi-threaded... at least in the
> sense of user threads and the like.
> --
> Pablo Sanchez | wk: 415.933.3812| pg: 800.930.5635 -or- pablo_p_at_pager.sgi.com
> --------------+-----------------+--------------------------------------------
> pablo_at_sgi.com ... when mailing me, place "not spam" in the Subject

whoa!

Finally somebody mentioned the threads thing, and you shoot it down so quickly! tsk tsk.... :-)

Yes, as much as I hammer on Informix, they are truly and independently verified to have multi-threading--unless it's all bs... But Oracle last I heard was multi-process not multi-threaded...

The independent analysts are out there. There was one guy in Denver or somewhere in that neck of the woods that does independent analysis, and mentioned this point. If I can dig up my copy of his report I'll post the address. Sybase came under the multi-threaded catagory as well. But the beast did not.

As I understand it the whole concept of Informixs' Virtual Processors hinges on threading, not multi-process spawning as in Oracle.

Tim

--
Tim Schaefer                  \\|//
tschaefe_at_mindspring.com       (6 6)