RE: Informix and Oracle in the same shop

From: May, James <mayj_at_fdhc.state.fl.us>
Date: 1997/06/02

I've been watching this thread with some interest. Enough of the philosophical discussion on why you might place Informix and Oracle in the same shop. There are valid reasons you might do so. I just found this out the hard way. I'm a new DBA in an Informix shop. My boss just informed me that we will get Oracle as a part of a new project. The exact why(s) aren't really that important. What is important is that we will have Informix and Oracle on the same machine and that I will be the administrator for both.

Has anyone out there had experiences running Informix and Oracle on the same machine? What are the technical issues to address when doing so? Are there any shared memory issues? How do you handle continuous logging for both systems? What are the pitfalls to look out for? Should I be looking for a new job? :-)

James May
Database Administrator,
Agency for Health Care Administration, Florida voice 904.413.9072
email = mayj_at_fdhc.state.fl.us