Re: Informix and Oracle in the same shop

From: Pablo Sanchez <news_reader_at_mew.corp.sgi.com>
Date: 1997/06/02

In article <01bc6e57$5fdd9ae0$618285ce_at_ian>, "Ian Sparkes" <sparkes_at_sprintmail.com> writes:
> I would also be interested in hearing why you feel Informix is a better
> choice for a large data warehouse.
>
> The major differentiation between Oracle and Informix is normally the
> available tools. Specifically, Informix has nothing like Designer/2000 and
> having a powerful tool to manage schemas is real critical in a large
> warehouse.

At the risk of sounding boring, I'd have to agree with Ian. If this shop is already Oracle, why incur the cost of retooling people to learn another RDBMS. I see Ian's point that for all intents and purposes an RDBMS is an RDBMS is an RDBMS.

--
Pablo Sanchez | wk: 415.933.3812| pg: 800.930.5635 -or- pablo_p_at_pager.sgi.com