Re: OpenVMS 6.2, 7.1.5 PFW problem

From: Doug Anderson <dathedba_at_mindspring.com>
Date: 1997/06/02

John Hough <q6y_at_ornl.gov> wrote:
>We are having a very strange problem with some of our databases.
>We recently updated from OpenVMS 6.1 to OpenVMS 6.2 on all of
>our VAXEN and since have begun having strange problems in our
>programs that use Database links.

 <snip>
>$show proc/cont/id=23a
> Process ORACLE MGR 023A
> State PFW Working set 93
> Cur/base priority 9/4 Virtual pages 14538
> Current PC 800A1EB8 CPU time 0 00:00:02.73
> Current PSL 00000000 Direct I/O 608
> Current user SP 7EE53F60 Buffered I/O 661
> PID 0000023A Page faults 5799
> UIC [ORACLE7] Event flags E003D3B3
> 80000000

I sure thought that the Working Set Limit for the process was to be as large as the SGA, otherwise the process would have to do a lot of paging to access large amounts of the SGA.

To see the size of the SGA according to VMS use the INSTALL known images utility. There is a LIST qualifier in there that will show you what it knows as the GLOBAL PAGES allocated to each instance.

Lots-o-luck.