Re: Drop Tablespace Problem

From: Timo Haatainen <timoha_at_mylly.carel.fi>
Date: 1997/06/02

Ian Sparkes wrote:

> Has anybody seen a problem where after a drop tablespace command, the
> tablespace still appears in a "select tablespace_name from
> dba_tablespaces;". I'm trying to see if it is possible to determine what
> the original cause might have been (with a view to preventing a
> reoccurrence until upgrade is possible), apparently this has been happening
> for over a year.
>
> Database version is 7.0.16 running on HPUX 9.
>
> The site now has further corruption problems in their Oracle catalog and I
> am working with them to help remedy the situation. The only fix is an
> exp/imp but this is complicated but 24x7 operation with a 100GB database so
> the planning is taking a while.

To see ONLINE tablespaces use clause:
select * from dba_tablespaces where status='ONLINE'; Status can be:

ONLINE    (online)
OFFLINE   (taken offline)
INVALID   (dropped)

I don't know why Oracle doesn't remove the row for dropped tablespace. Anyway, it marks it as INVALID.

--

Timo Haatainen
Carelcomp Forest Oy