Partition Views Again

From: Roberto Bruno <rbruno_at_centroin.com.br>
Date: 1997/05/31

--------------7F034237DCF33E98B6E3C406

I still have the partition view problem described in my mail of 18/5 which was:

I'm having a problem using partition views in Oracle 7.3.2 under a AlphaServer 4100. What I have are some huge tables on a Data Warehouse that
I want to partition, but still presenting to users and applications as a

single logical table.

According to Oracle documentation, that is accomplished through creating a
check constraint on each partition to tell the RDBMS what is the partitioning rule. After that, an index should be created on the column or
columns referenced on the check constraint (for each table). Then, the view
should be created as a series of select * ... union all.

Well, I did all that and got no partition access. The optimizer tried to

make full scans in all tables involved, even though it was perfectly defined which ones could or could not have rows satisfying the query. I made several testes, with 2 to 5 different partitions and different hints,
and nothing seemed to work. Does anyone have any idea on how to make this
work out ?

If you can, please send ma an answer with a copy to Roberto_Bruno_at_south-america.notes.pw.notes.com (yes, with the capital letters and all - that's a Lotus Notes address).

I have the partition_views_enabled = true in init.ora and am using cost-based optimisation with statistics for all partitions. It seems that my constraints are too complex for Oracle to recognize them as partitions. Is there a limit to what kind of constraint I can put, or a known bug with partition views under version 7.3.2 ? I really would get a much-needed performance boost with this feature, since it would avoid scanning a multi-million record table.

--------------7F034237DCF33E98B6E3C406

<HTML><BODY>

I still have the partition view problem described in my mail of 18/5 which was:
<BR>
<BR><FONT COLOR="#0000FF">I'm having a problem using partition views in Oracle
7.3.2 under a</FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR="#0000FF">AlphaServer 4100. What I have are some huge tables
on a Data Warehouse that</FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR="#0000FF">I want to partition, but still presenting to users
and applications as a</FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR="#0000FF">single logical table.</FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR="#0000FF"></FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR="#0000FF">According to Oracle documentation, that is accomplished
through creating a</FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR="#0000FF">check constraint on each partition to tell the RDBMS
what is the</FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR="#0000FF">partitioning rule. After that, an index should be
created on the column or</FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR="#0000FF">columns referenced on the check constraint (for each
table). Then, the view</FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR="#0000FF">should be created as a series of select * ... union

all.</FONT>

<BR><FONT COLOR="#0000FF"></FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR="#0000FF">Well, I did all that and got no partition access.
The optimizer tried to</FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR="#0000FF">make full scans in all tables involved, even though
it was perfectly</FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR="#0000FF">defined which ones could or could not have rows satisfying
the query. I</FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR="#0000FF">made several testes, with 2 to 5 different partitions
and different hints,</FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR="#0000FF">and nothing seemed to work. Does anyone have any
idea on how to make this</FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR="#0000FF">work out ?</FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR="#0000FF"></FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR="#0000FF">If you can, please send ma an answer with a copy
to</FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR="#0000FF">Roberto_Bruno_at_south-america.notes.pw.notes.com</FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR="#0000FF">(yes, with the capital letters and all - that's a
Lotus Notes address).</FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR="#0000FF"></FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR="#000000">I have the partition_views_enabled = true in init.ora
and am using</FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR="#000000">cost-based optimisation with statistics for all partitions.
It seems that my constraints are too complex for Oracle to recognize them as partitions. Is there a limit to what kind of constraint I can put, or a known bug with partition views under version 7.3.2 ? I really would get a much-needed performance boost with this feature, since it would avoid scanning a multi-million record table.</FONT>

</BODY>
</HTML>

--------------7F034237DCF33E98B6E3C406-- Received on Sat May 31 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT