Re: Automated backup of Oracle Financials

From: Phil Clark <phil.clark_at_writeme.com>
Date: 1997/05/31

Torfrid Leek <torfridl_at_ulrik.uio.no> wrote in article <5m15db$kff$1_at_ratatosk.uio.no>...
> Hello,
> But Concurrent Manager needs to be shutdown by user APPLMGR.
> We wish to avoid passwords in scripts.
> Does anybody know of an obvious solution to this dilemma?

I'm not that familiar with Oracle Financials (yet), but.... How about doing the user authentication at the operating system level?

If operating system authentication is turned on in the init<sid>.ora file, you could have your crontab job run as UNIX user APPLMGR and have it authenticated as Oracle user
<operating system prefix>APPLMGR.
(e.g. OP$APPLMGR)

You could do:
alter user APPLMGR identified externally ...
, and set your operating system prefix to an empty string.

Then, your SQL scripts can use
CONNECT / @<service-name>
to connect to Oracle.

Just one way of thinking...