Announce: Easier way... Oracle to Web...

From: Robert PMC <bob_knight_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1997/05/30

If you're looking for a _much_ easier way to work with databases (especially Oracle data) on the web, I would recommend that you check out WebFiler (http://www.webfiler.com). It handles administration - with adjustable security settings - from any browser and you can even have data emailed to you 'on the fly'.

Basically, it's like a desktop database (say, Access) running through the web browser. It does not requires programming or SQL knowledge; it uses ODBC for legacy data access or its native, Fox-compatible engine for portability; has multi-user and multi-group security control built-in; and runs on about any NT/95 web server. You can start with an entirely working system and customize it on the server itself.

It works great with FrontPage, as an aside. Also, it is the only system I know of where you can upload and download data on the fly (you will need Netscape 2+ for direct browser uploads - or FTP if using IE3. I recently used OpenLink's multi-tier ODBC driver to access an Oracle backend... and it worked exceptionally well.

Cheers Bob Received on Fri May 30 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT