Re: oracle process on Unix taking too much CPU, pl. help

From: Dennis Taylor <spammers_are_scum_at_ipipeline.net>
Date: 1997/05/30

dpunjabi_at_nyx.net wrote in article <864842614.22036_at_dejanews.com>...
> We ar running Oracle 7.16 under HP UX 9.05. Our machine is running
> very slow and we found that the Oracle server process is taking up
> too much of the CPU chunk (anywhere from 40 - 90%).
>
> Any EMAIL tips on tuning the Oracle server process will be highly
> appreciated. What is the suggested value of priority (nice)
> for such a process ?

The suggestion for nice is to leave it alone. There are lots of other ways to tune oracle. First question would be: Is your server process gobbling 40-90% when nothing is happening? If so, you have some other kind of problem. If not, your server may be spin-waiting for latches, if you don't have enough redo logs for instance, or your server may be thrashing because you have too small a value for db_block_buffers or some such. There are lots of reasons for poor performance. Read the admin guide, take the tuning course, or hire an Oracle consultant for half a day. Received on Fri May 30 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT