Re: 2 users, same schema

From: John Strange <jstrange_at_imtn.dsccc.com>
Date: 1997/05/30

Have your dba create a role like litmed_read. Then have the dba create public synonyms for each_table.

You can then grant select on each_table to litmed_read Then grant the litmed_read role to any user you desire.

No extra work required by the user.

Roy Smith (roy_at_mchip00.med.nyu.edu) wrote:
: I want to create 2 users who have access to all the same tables, the only
: difference being that one owns the tables and has full access, while the
: other just has read-only access. So far, the only way I've found to do this
: is to have the administrative user "grant select" on each table to the
: read-only user, and then have the read-only user create synonyms for them
: all, like this:

: -- To be run as litmedadmin
: grant select on annot to litmed;
: grant select on work to litmed;
: [etc]

: -- To be run as litmed
: create synonym annot for litmedadmin.annot;
: create synonym work for litmedadmin.work;
: [etc]

: Is there a simplier way to do this?
: --
: Roy Smith <roy_at_popmail.med.nyu.edu>
: New York University School of Medicine
: Copyright 1997 Roy Smith
: For-profit redistribution prohibited

--
This posting represents the personal opinions of the author. It is not the
official opinion or policy of the author's employer. Warranty expired when you