Re: UNIX or NT

From: netac <netac_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1997/05/30

Coburn Watson wrote:

> Scott Kelley wrote:
> >
> > Doug Surplus wrote:
> > >
> > > On Fri, 16 May 1997 17:05:43 -0500, Brett Neumeier
> > > <bogus_at_address.for.spam> wrote:
> > >
> > > We have been ruinning a 30+ user production database (Oracle
> > > 7.3.2.2.1) on NT 3.5.1 since November. Both the database and the
> > > server have been suprisingly stable - only 1 unexplained lockup (the
> > > server just froze in the middle of the night).
> > >
> > > My only compliants on NT center around management tools and the lack
> > > of a good OS shell a la UNIX. On UNIX, I could automate anything with
> > > the shell, awk and other native utilities. NT gives you the same old
> > > DOS batch language and the at command (similar to cron, but not
> > > as flexible). I have as yet to get automated exports of my databases,
> > > although I have been able to run shutdown and startup scripts from
> > > within Arcserve's pre and post job options.
> > <truncated>
> >
> > We have the same issue with NT (and not just for database stuff). A
> > company called MKS ( see http://www.mks.com ) has a product called the
> > MKS Toolkit, which has a very functional Korn shell amongst it's
> > bag-of-tricks. This has enabled us to do a lot of the complicated tasks
> > that NT does not have native tools to handle. It has made the us Unix
> > types pretty happy.
> > I'm sure other there are other places to get such stuff, maybe even
> > for free. It's a shame Microsoft has yet to deliver a fully featured
> > OS, maybe NTv5 will include more stuff so you don't have to build it
> > yourself.
> >
> > --
> > Scott Kelley (skelley_at_online.disney.com)
> > Webmaster/Database Administrator for Disney Online
> >
> > # THIS IS A DISCLAIMER: The above statements were written by Elves.
> > # The above is not the position or opinion of the Walt Disney Company.
>
> I'm sort of of excited about the new package being created by David
> Korn at ATT for the Win95 and NT Environment. Check out the site at :
>
> http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/uwin/
>
> UWIN has the following features:
>
> -----------
> UWIN 1.2 Overview
>
> The UWIN package provides a mechanism for building and running UNIX
> applications on Windows NT and
> Windows 95 with few, if any, changes necessary.
>
> The UWIN package contains the following three elements:
>
> - Libraries that provide the UNIX Application Programming Interface
> (API)
> - Include files and development tools such as cc, yacc, lex, and
> make.
> - Korn Shell and over 160 utilities such as ls, sed, cp, stty etc.
>
> It appears to be available for free non-commercial download at the
> above site. I'm not sure of the cost for commercial use. I too use
> the ksh for most of my Oracle admin scripting, hopefully the above
> package will function equivalently as MKS Toolkit.
>
> Coburn Watson

This is amazing. UNIX is stable, and available from top line vendors like Sun and HP, yet some jerks want to make their MSFT products look just like UNIX. Just use UNIX. If your IS people are too stupid to let you, go work somewhere else. Let these jerks rot in hell with MSFT. Received on Fri May 30 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT