StartUp/ShutDown Questions 7.3.2/Sol2.5

From: Rao Uppuluri <rao_at_sparc10>
Date: 1997/05/27

Hi

I have the following questions on START UP and SHUTDOWN of database.

Platform : Solaris 2.5
Oracle Ver: 7.3.2.2

  1. Whenever I boot my system, the boot process does the following among other things.
  2. start "svrmgrl" to start the database instatnces.
  3. starts the "tcp listener".
  4. starts the web processes. then
  5. while running the following command, it doesn't come out of process. I have to type "exit".

      "..bin/lsnrctl dbsnmp_start"

      (Yes, every time I boot I do that.  If I am not around then boot
       process stops and waits until I type "exit" and then continues
       with other boot procedures).

      WHY? and What is this process for any way???
      "oracle" installed all these scripts in my /etc/rc2.d during the
      installation.

2. What is the process "oracle<sid>" ???

3. How do I shutdown "all" oracle processes without "killing" them.

   I know how to "shutdown" instances through "svrmgrl" (server manager)    After that I still have some processes left like "web processes",    "maid.SunOS5.4.release" etc.

Thanx a bunch in advance

Rao Uppuluri

--
Rao Uppuluri :  rao_at_intsec.com