Re: DATE-column part of index ?

From: Mark Styles <lambic_at_msn.com>
Date: 1997/05/27

vermaat_at_gemini.tfdl.agro.nl wrote:
> I was asked by a collegue if it is OK to include a DATE-column is an
> index. Ik remember vaguely that someone told me years ago not to do
> that, but I am not sure and I do not remeber the reason for not
> including such a column. Anyone who has an opinion on this matter ?

There is an issue with dates in indexes, basically because over a period of time the index tree will become unbalanced. This is only a problem if the date column is the first column in the index.

If you must use dates as prime index columns, then regular index reorganisations will ensure performance does not degrade. Received on Tue May 27 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT