Re: ORACLE Server not available

From: Bjorn Borud <borud_at_guardian.no>
Date: 1997/05/27

[stephenmiller_at_ibm.net (Stephen Miller)]

| Thanks a lot for the info. That was exactly the problem.
|
| It turns out that one of our UNIX SYS ADMINS (very green and now
| very sheepish) was fooling around on the weekend with changing
| ownerships on files while logged in as root, and managed to reset
| the owner of everything under $ORACLE_HOME. Obviously not something
| that you expect to happen, so it took some time to debug.

this sort of situation seems to arise often in environments where the DBA is trespassing on sysadmin territory or vice versa. it would be of great help to debug customer sites if there were a tool for checking the installation for proper permissions, given a set of preconditions ($ORACLE_HOME, oracle uid etc.).

-Bjørn

--
 Bjørn Borud <borud_at_guardian.no>       | "The Net interprets censorship
 <URL:http://www.pvv.unit.no/~borud/>  | as damage and routes around it."