Re: Questions on RAID-0 and RAID-0+1 Consideration

From: Steve Adams <steveadams_at_acslink.net.au>
Date: 1997/05/24

Hi Qun,

It is not clear from your post whether you intent to build 2 volumes striped across 4 all disks, or 2 volumes striped across 2 disks each. The former would be a bad idea, because you thrash the disk heads back and forth over the disks for every log write, because Oracle will write to both log members together - so I assume you're wont do that. But the alternative is not wonderful either, because Oracle needs at least 2 log groups, and so your archiver will content with your log writer after a log switch. So better not to stripe at all and follow Oracle's "archiver best practice" recommendation - 2 groups of 2 members, on 4 dedicated disk, with the archive destination on a 5th. Ideally the log files should be built first, to put them on the outside edge of the disk, for best performance. Then if you have disk to burn you can start to improve this picture. The first improvement would be to use 3 groups, rather than two, to protect yourself against slow archival (especially if your archive destination is on slower storage, as it should be). I think this is the 6 disk solution you are considering. The second improvement is to multiply the number of disk used for logs by N and stripe them. Under Solaris the optimal interlace (stripe element size) for redo logs is 64K/N.

On question B, I'd definitely go for the multiple mount points.

HTH, Steve Adams