How to INSERT efficiently? When to COMMIT, When to CREATE INDEXES ..

From: Adam Tadj <vahidt_at_dbsun.vitek.com>
Date: 1997/05/23

I will be INSERTing a sizable chunck of data into a table with 45 columns and I wanna do it as fast and as efficient as I can. These questions came to my mind and I would like to hear your opinions too.

I may add that I am running ORACLE 7.1 in a AIX 3.2 environment. The target table is gonna be realtively stable with few INSERTs now and then and it will be READ ONLY for everybody other than the DBA. The data going into this table are already cleansed and do not need CONSTRAINT check or TRIGGERs. The INDEXes are mainly for quick record retievals

Your hints and brain stroms will be very welcome! Thanx in ad.

Adam Tadj.
vahidt_at_dbsun.vitek.com Received on Fri May 23 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT