Re: Advice: Creating new Oracle DB

From: Laurie Kirsh <lkirsh_at_itsc.org>
Date: 1997/05/23

I would like to know which OS (i'm assuming NT due to the relatively small size..but 3.51 or 4.0...and is the DB's main function OLTP?) you have it running on, but despite, my advice to you is this:

Oracle is full of configurations. It is what it is known for. However, the Oracle DB Engineers have chosen some unlikely (even downright idiotic) default settings. Make sure you have a full understanding of each configuration setting. Look up a listing of all the defaults because you may find, in many cases, that the default is exactly what you don't want and may cause/rather will cause serious performance problems. It would probably be extremely useful, if you do not have a senior ORACLE DBA on staff, to have one come in and help configure your INIT.ora file (or take the ORACLE DBA or TUNING class at ORACLE corp...the Oracle Press books are also pretty good if you have time to peruse them). You also want to spend time estimating what your database's maxed out/bloated capacity is in order to analyze initial storage for your tablespaces, etc...

Laurie

--
| Laurie J. Kirsh                     | Oracle DBA/Design/Developer |

CDWaddell <cdwaddell_at_aol.com> wrote in article
<19970523161801.MAA01168_at_ladder01.news.aol.com>...