Re: PL/SQL "table" question...

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/05/23

On 22 May 1997 14:36:46 GMT, ranga_at_shell.one.net (Ranganathan Chakravarthi) wrote:

>Vijay Damodaran (vijayd_at_nortel.com) wrote:
>:
>: When I try to execute this script, I get the following error:
>:
>: ORA-06550: line 6, column 10:
>: PLS-00382: expression is of wrong type
>: ORA-06550: line 7, column 50:
>: PLS-00487: Invalid reference to variable 'ADM'
>:
>
>I tried the same thing and got the same error. I came to a conclusion
>that tables cannot be passed as parameters to functions/procedures.
>I might be wrong. Let me know if you find an answer.
>TIA,

They absolutely can. You must consistently use the SAME type tho. for example, give a package spec:

create or replace package types
as

        type myArray is table of varchar2(30) index by binary_integer;

    procedure some_proc( x in myArray ); end type;
/

Then:

declare

   x types.myArray;

   type myArray is table of varchar2(30) index by binary_integer;

   y myArray;
begin

   types.some_proc( x );    -- Is correct and will work.  types.myArray
   types.some_proc( y );    -- is INCORRECT.  myArray is not the same
                            -- as types.myArray
end;
/

>-- Ranga
> If it doesn't work, don't worry; if it did, you are out of a job!
>Ranga Chakravarthi e-mail: ranga_at_one.net

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Bethesda MD

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Fri May 23 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT