Re: Automated backup of Oracle Financials

From: BEERYR <Ron.Beery_at_DaytonOH.NCR.COM>
Date: 1997/05/23

In our env (NCR unix / Fin 10.4.2 / V7.1.6) we run the backup as root.

Basically:

su - applmgr -c "CMgr shut script"
su - oracle -c "shutdown db script"
run backup
su - oracle -c "startup db script"
su - applmgr -c "CMgr startup script"

Ron Beery
NCR Corp
Dayton, OH

>==========Brian Murphy, 5/22/97==========
>
>Torfrid Leek wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>> We are installing Oracle Financials, and would like to have
>> "proper" automated backups.
>> We run a cronjob as user oracle which shuts down the database and
>> copies the files to another disk, then restarts the database.
>> Later ADSM copies the files to tape.
>> But Concurrent Manager needs to be shutdown by user APPLMGR.
>> We wish to avoid passwords in scripts.
>> Does anybody know of an obvious solution to this dilemma?
>> How do you backup your Oracle Financials databases?
>>
>> Thanks, Torfrid Leek
>>
>> torfrid.leek_at_usit.uio.no
>From my experience, (SOLARIS/HP-UX), the concurrent manager can be
>shut down from any UNIX account as long as they log in as the SYSADMIN
>resp.
>
>The real issue is to use 'CONCSUB' and hide the applsys(10.6.x) or
>apps(10.7) password when deactivating the internal manager.
>The same holds true for 'startmgr' - which must be run by the applmgr
>account.
>The Internal Manager can only be started from the applmgr(UNIX) account.
>
>To limit passwords in scripts I have done the following :
> my shell script is called from cron and passes env
 variables for the
>SID,
> ORACLE_ID and PASSWORD - they are passed to the script via
>case/switch
>statements
>
> this also makes the script reusable for all databases on
 the machine
> this means that cron still has the passwords but the shell
>scripts do
>not
>
>As far as backups for financials - don't even bother with imp/exp unless
>you are in the development cycle.
>Hot backups are the only way to go - the big reports should only be run
>at night and the users will not be happy to have jobs aborted in the
>middle of the night. You can also use the 7.3 DRS feature for a standby
>database - cool stuff if you have the extra hardware.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Brian Murphy

Ron Beery
NCR
"Everything is computerized. What could possibly go wrong?" Received on Fri May 23 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT