Re: Case Insensitive Searches In Oracle

From: Snorri Bergmann <snorri_at_strengur.is>
Date: 1997/05/23

Chuck Erickson wrote:

> - SELECT * FROM EMP WHERE UPPER('smith') = UPPER(EMP_NAME) does not
> use
> an index and thus does a full table scan each time.

Hmmm. This is a major problem with most relational databases. I am running
Informix Universal Server and there you can do some nifty things:

CREATE INDEX upper_ix ON emp ( UPPER(emp_name));

Then queries like the one above would use this index.

--
Snorri Bergmann                    | Mail:       snorri_at_strengur.is
Strengur Consulting Engineers      | WWW:        http://www.strengur.is/