Re: How do I avoid Mutating Table Error

From: Dave Boswell <dave_boswell_at_nt.com>
Date: 1997/05/23

John Strange wrote:

> Use a pre-insert/update trigger in your form or your database.
>
> Venkata Terala (venkata_at_inetnow.net) wrote:
> : Hi!
> : I need to write some auditing information (like date a record was
> : updated and the user name etc) to the table in which the change was
> : made. I know this willcause a MUTATING TABLE error. Is there a work
> : around for it ? MS SQL Server allows this kind of a change and I need
> : to port that application to Oracle with similar functionality.

> : Any postings on this will be greatly appreciated.

> : Thank You
> : Venkat

This discussion is covered in the book 'Oracle Design' from O'Reilly ( sorry to the authors but I can't recall your names ). They cover it briefly, at least in the first third that I've read, but provide an appendix that provides a generic approach that can be used. It makes use of flags, triggers and procedures and appears to be of the same quality as the rest of the book.

Anyhow, I don't have the book here with me but I would recommend it to not only help solve this type of problem but to also for providing thought provoking ideas at solving other Oracle problems aswell.

Dave Boswell Received on Fri May 23 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT